B-1 – for Business / B-2 – for Pleasure

The Firm provides assistance and advice on B-1 / B-2 options to individuals in the United States or at U.S. consulates.


F-1 – Academic Student

An individual enrolling in a full course of study at an educational institution in the United States may be eligible for F-1 status for the duration of the study and a period of practical training in the field. We provide assistance to increase the chance of obtaining an F-1 visa at the consular post abroad or change of status from within the United States.

J – Exchange Visitor

People coming to the U.S. through an approved exchange program may be eligible for the J-1 Exchange Visitor’s visa. These are students, scholars, job trainees, faculty, professors and research scholars, specialists, medical residents, government visitors, etc. Sometimes, a J-1 program will require that the beneficiary spend at least two years outside of the U.S. before being permitted to switch to a different nonimmigrant visa or to permanent residency.



E-1 – Treaty Trader / E-2 – Treaty Investor

Investors / traders and their employees may receive status to carry on their business in the United States if the home country has a commercial treaty with the United States conferring such eligibility.

H1B – Specialty Occupation

Professionals with at least a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in work experience may be eligible for H1B status for positions requiring that degree.

I – Representatives of Foreign News Media

As a representative of foreign media, one may be eligible for the I nonimmigrant visa. A qualifying individual must represent a foreign information media outlet (press, radio, film, or other foreign information media), be coming to the United States to engage solely in this profession; and have a home office in a foreign country. Occupations under this category include reporters, film crews, editors, and similar occupations. Any spouse and children under the age of 21 may accompany or follow to join an I nonimmigrant.

L – Intracompany Transferee or Transferee with Specialized Knowledge

The L nonimmigrant classification enables a U.S. employer to transfer an executive or manager, or professional worker with specialized knowledge from one an affiliated foreign office to one of its offices in the United States. The employer must file a petition for a nonimmigrant worker (I-129) on behalf of the employee. . Any spouse and children under the age of 21 may accompany or follow to join an L nonimmigrant.

O-1, O-2 – Extraordinary Ability

The O-1 category is for foreign nationals with extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, athletics, education, or business.

P-1, P-2, P-3 – Athletes and Group Entertainers

This nonimmigrant visa is for individual or team athletes and internationally recognized members of a group of entertainers. Also included are artists or entertainers who are to perform under a reciprocal exchange program and artists or entertainers who perform under a program that is culturally unique.

TN – Trade NAFTA Professionals

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) creates special economic and trade relationships for the United States (U.S.), Canada, and Mexico. The nonimmigrant NAFTA professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States in a prearranged business activity for a U.S. or foreign employer.


Permanent Resident, Employment Based

Employment Based, 1st Preference (EB1)

In these categories, the candidate can petition for permanent residency without the time-consuming process of labor certification.

Employment Based, 2nd Preference (EB2)

This category is for members of professions holding advanced degrees or foreign nationals of exceptional ability. Most EB2 candidates must have job offers and the employers must complete the PERM labor certification process. The labor certification involves testing the job market to show that the potential visa holder is not taking a job from a U.S. worker. If the individual can show that his/her entry is in the national interest the job offers and labor certification process can be waived, it’s the only exception for EB2 and its known as “National Interest Waiver” or “NIW”.

Employment Based, 3rd Preference (EB3)

This category is for skilled workers, professionals, and other workers. Most EB3 candidates must have a job offer and the employer must complete the labor certification process. Sponsored workers who are members of professions and those who possess bachelors’ degrees, or the foreign equivalent may be eligible for the “professionals” category. “Skilled” workers are those who are capable of performing skilled work requiring at least two years of training or work experience. Foreign nationals with less than two years of training and work experience may qualify under the “other workers” category.

Employment Based, 4th Preference (EB4)

The EB4 category is reserved for a broad group of special immigrants that most commonly includes religious workers, broadcasters, Iraqi / Afghan translators, Iraqis who have assisted the United States, international organization employees, physicians, armed forces members, Panama Canal zone employees, retired NATO-6 employees, as well as spouses and children of deceased NATO-6 employees.

Employment Based, 5th Preference (EB5)

The EB5 category is reserved for employment creation investors, foreign nationals who invest one million dollars in a new commercial enterprise that employs ten or more U.S. citizens or authorized immigrant workers.


Permanent Resident, Family Based

U.S. citizens can petition for parents, spouses, siblings, and children. Permanent residents (LPR) can petition for spouses and children only.

There is no quota or limit and, therefore, no waiting time for “immediate relatives” of U.S. citizens – unmarried children under 21, spouses, parents).

Relatives in the following preference categories are subject to limits on the number of visas that can be issued each year.

Permanent Resident, Other Avenues

Diversity Visa (DV1 / “Green Card Lottery”)

The diversity visa program begun in October 1994 for natives of certain countries that have provided relatively few immigrants to the United States in recent years. Annually, 55,000 visas are given away in a random drawing to individuals from countries underrepresented in the total immigrant pool.